NHSS – National Highways Sector Schemes Certification
The National Highways Sector Schemes (NHSS) are bespoke quality management systems based on the ISO 9001 standard and are for organisations working on the UK road network. If your organisation provides services covered by NHSS to Highways England under the Specification for Highways Works (SHW), you must be certified under all the relevant schemes for the work you are carrying out.
The Schemes aim to make sure that work is carried out to the highest standards with properly trained staff. The Schemes place a strong emphasis on health and safety. If you use sub-contractors, they must be certified under the appropriate scheme.
Ocean Certification is able to provide accredited ISO 9001 with NHSS certification for the following activities:
- road surfacing and marking (NHSS 07 and 16)
- fencing, landscaping and vehicle safety restraints (NHSS 2A, 2B and 2C)
- traffic management (NHSS 12A, 12B, 12C and 12D)
A list of current schemes and sector specification documents can be found on the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) website (www.ukas.com).
The advantages of being certified under NHSS include:
- Independent verification of your processes against recognised quality standards
- A better understanding of risk, and how to manage it – the NHSS assessment process can help you pinpoint areas of risk in your operations
- New opportunities and potential contracts for the national road network
- Listing on the online Schedule of Suppliers, the only comprehensive national register of independently approved contractors and sub-contractors (lantra.co.uk/nhss/schedule-suppliers).
Ocean Certification is also able to provide accredited certification to other management system standards including ISO 14001, Environmental Management Systems, and OHSAS 18001, Occupational Health & Safety Systems. If you have a fully integrated management system, this enhances the confidence that customers have in your ability to meet their requirements.