OHSAS 18001 – Occupational Health & Safety Certification
We provide UKAS Accredited certification to the OHSAS 18001 standard, an internationally recognised standard for Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) management.
The importance of effective occupational health & safety management is now recognised by employees, customers, suppliers, contractors, regulatory agencies, insurers, and stakeholders alike, and is increasingly becoming a primary concern to interested parties.
OHSAS 18001 helps organisations from a range of sectors to put in place a system for demonstrating sound occupational health & safety performance. It is the most widely recognised and popular choice for health & safety management system.
The process to successfully achieve your certification to OHSAS 18001 includes the following key elements:
- Planning for hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- OHSAS management programme
- Structure and responsibility
- Training, awareness and competence
- Consultation and communication
- Operational control
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Performance measuring, monitoring and improvement
Transition to ISO 45001
The fundamentals of OHSAS 18001:2007 have been transitioned to the ISO 45001 standard which is planned for publication in December 2017.
(help section link – information on transitional arrangements for current standards)
Benefits of a certified occupational health & safety management system include:
- The reduction of medical claims and compensation costs
- The reduction in lost work days through improved safety levels
- The reduction of penalties for breach of legislation
- Being able to obtain insurance at a reduced cost through the demonstration of improved risk management
- Capitalising on an improved business performance
- Providing the tools for competitive advantage through the establishment of a responsible image within the marketplace
- Increasing competitiveness in Pre-Qualification Questionnaire (PQQ) and Tender submissions
- Our certification provides the added benefit of automatic certification to SSIP (Safety Schemes in Procurement) see below for more details of SSIP.
- The improvement of employee satisfaction and retention through reinforced occupational confidence
- Conforming with rapidly changing regulations
- Increasing operational efficiency through adherence to a formally documented OH&S procedure
- The recognition of commitment to health & safety by potential investors
Integrated Management Systems
OHSAS 18001 Health and Safety Management System can be efficiently combined with other certification standards such as ISO 9001 (Quality Management) and ISO 14001 (Environmental Management) into an Integrated Management System.
Integrated Management Systems cover the requirements of all three standards within a single streamlined management systems resulting in a lower frequency of visits, less audit duration and lower certification costs.
As we are a registered member of the SSIP (Safety Schemes in Procurement) forum your OHSAS 18001 certification will automatically include SSIP Certification without any additional audits.
The SSIP forum acts as an umbrella organisation to facilitate mutual reconition between health and safety assessment schemes. This means that OHSAS 18001 certification with Ocean will be mutually recognised between SSIP member schemes and therefore will negate the requirement to hold other scheme memberships/certifications such as:
- Contractors Health and Safety Scheme (CHAS)
- National House-Building Council (NHBC) ‘SafeMark’
- EXOR ‘H&S Qualified’
- Safety Management Advisory Services (SMAS) ‘Worksafe Scheme’
- Altius VA
- Eurosafe UK
- Association for Project Safety (APS) ‘Registered Practice Scheme’
- (more to follow if necessary)
See here for a table of SSIP Equivalences: SSIP Supplier Guide & Table of Equivalences